The Banana bread that’s better for you!
What is your first thought when you have a few over-ripe bananas?
“Let’s bake a banana bread!” 😀
Being health conscious – I had the same thought, but tried to bake a banana bread that would be better for you. No butter, no excess sugar, and some added ingredients to boost the nutritional value of the banana bread. Besides the original ingredients of over ripe bananas. Extras like Chia seeds [High in Fiber, Anti-oxidants & much more] + Flax seed powder [High in Protein & Omega-3 Fats] were added to the bread. If you want to try the recipe. Keep in mind that this is a healthier version. The bread will not have the normal spongy texture of the store-bought banana breads. Otherwise this is definitely a recipe to try out!
- 2 x Free Range Medium eggs
- ½ C x Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ Cup x Gluten Free Flour
- ½ Cup x Flax seed Powder
- ½ Cup x Plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 x Ripe Bananas
- 2 Tbsp x Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp x Chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp x Brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp x Vanilla Essence
- 1 tspn x Baking soda
- Oats [for topping]
- Pre-heat the oven of to 180°C. Lightly grease a bread tin. (Either with non-stick spray or coconut oil)
- Mix together all the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl mash bananas. Add the liquid + mashed bananas and blend together.
- Stir all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until everything is combined.
- Scoop out the banana mixture into the bread tin. Sprinkle a few raw Oat flakes over & place in the oven. Bake for approximately 60 mins.
Note: Keep an eye on it. Ovens vary in heat tempratures. Important to place the banana bread on a rack to cool down before serving. Serve with your favourite low fat spread.
That will be raw Almond butter for me! 😉